Angela Hill and Tecia Torres will not be rematching on Saturday.
On the prelims of UFC 256, Hill and Torres were set to have a rematch five years in the making. The two first fought at UFC 188 in Hill’s third professional bout and she dropped a decision to the perennial contender. Since then, “Overkill” has wanted the rematch and she was supposed to get it on Saturday. However, she announced she testes positive for COVID-19 and is out of the fight.
“Unfortunately I tested positive for Covid-19 and won’t be fighting next week. Tried to stay as safe as possible during fightcamp but with mma training there’s virtually no social distancing. Was really looking forward to running it back, maybe we still can in the near future,” Hill wrote on Instagram.
Angela Hill is currently on a two-fight losing streak with both losses coming by split decision. However, many thought she beat Michelle Waterson and Claudia Gadelha but she did not get the decision. Before the losses, she was on a three-fight winning streak with wins over Loma Lookboonmee, Hannah Cifers, and Ariane Carnelossi.
Tecia Torres, meanwhile, snapped her losing streak last time out as she beat Brianna Van Buren in June in a big upset. Before that, she had lost to Marina Rodriguez, Weili Zhang, Joanna Jedrzekczyk, and Jessica Andrade.
Whether or not Torres will remain on UFC 256 is uncertain at this time. However, the hope for many is the UFC rebooks this fight for sometime in January or February.
UFC 256 is now as follows:
- Deiveson Figueiredo vs. Brandon Moreno
- Tony Ferguson vs. Charles Oliveira
- Rafael Fiziev vs. Renato Moicano
- Kevin Holland vs. Ronaldo Souza
- Junior Dos Santos vs. Ciryl Gane
- Daniel Pineda vs. Cub Swanson
- Mackenzie Dern vs. Virna Jandiroba
- Billy Quarantillo vs. Gavin Tucker
- Serghei Spivac vs. Jared Vanderaa
- Dalcha Lungiambula vs. Karl Roberson
- Dwight Grant vs. Li Jingliang
- Peter Barrett vs. Chase Hooper
Cole Shelton covers MMA for BJPenn.com, MMANews, and MyMMANews.com while also being the lead MMA odds writer for Sports Betting Dime