Axe Murderer files lawsuit against NSAC
The ‘Axe Murderer’ Wanderlei Silva filed suit against the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) in District Court late last week, accusing the agency of overstepping its jurisdiction in the disciplinary action it took against him in September.
The Brazilian, Silva, 38, received a lifetime ban in Nevada and a $70,000 fine for purposely running from an unannounced drug test the NSAC attempted to administer on May 24. He announced his retirement from the sport shortly thereafter.
Silva admitted during a preliminary disciplinary hearing in June that he avoided the drug test because he was taking banned substances at the time.
Ross Goodman, Silva’s attorney, would argue that the NSAC had no jurisdiction over Silva on May 24, as he had not applied for a license at that time. Silva (35-12-1) was scheduled to fight Chael Sonnen at UFC 175 on July 5 in Las Vegas, but Goodman says no fight contract was signed.
The NSAC dismissed Goodman’s motion and voted unanimously to ban Silva. The $70,000 amount was based on taking 35 percent of what Silva’s purse would have been on July 5, estimated by previous purses.
“I think we need to be as harsh as possible,” NSAC chairman Francisco Aguilar said during those deliberations. “Running is inexcusable — no matter what circumstances are.”
Goodman immediately said he’d appeal the decision.
The lawsuit alleges the NSAC exceeded its jurisdiction on an unlicensed person, violated the licensing requirement, acted capriciously against Silva by imposing a “career-ending” ban and arbitrarily fined Silva based on an “imaginary purse.” It asks for the NSAC’s ruling to be overturned.Follow MyMMANews.com on Social Media
Latest posts by Eric Kowal (see all)
- Elias Theodorou to serve as Ring Card Boy at Invicta FC 28 - February 19, 2018
- UFC Fight Night 126 results – Cerrone vs. Medeiros - February 18, 2018
- Split Decision MMA Podcast – Is CM Punk favored over Floyd Mayweather? - February 17, 2018