UFC welterweight Darren Till has become a breakout star in his division as of late. It all started with a stunning TKO victory over wiley veteran Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone in October of last year, and then a memorable yet controversial decision win against premiere title contender Stephen “Wonderboy” Thompson this past May.
Since that win against Thompson, it has gained him a lot widespread attention in the UFC.
And now, three months later, it apparently has shot him up as the next contender to the UFC Welterweight Championship, literally.
How you ask? Well according to Till, rumor has it that current Interim Welterweight Champion Colby Covington has suffered some sort of mysterious injury and will not be able to compete against undisputed Welterweight Champion Tyron Woodley.
As a result of this, Till says the UFC reached out to him as a possible second option to face Woodley.
What makes Till’s claim even more justifiable, is that Covington made an appearance on Submission Radio and said he indeed need some time off and wouldn’t be ready to fight Woodley until November or December.
Capitalizing on the situation upon hearing the news of Covington, he seized the chance at trying to persuade Woodley into a late title fight with him yesterday evening.
When speaking to MMA Fighting earlier this morning, Till says he doesn’t for sure if he’ll actually get the fight against “The Chosen One”.
“I don’t know what’s happening with Colby, whether he’s injured or not, but I’ve been offered Tyron Woodley and he turned the fight down,” said Till.
“That’s what it looks like to me and I’ve been on the UFC’s case about it. UFC want me to fight him, but he will not accept it. [UFC] didn’t mention a date or anything, but that’s the fight they wanted to make and he obviously isn’t into it.”
Till also expressed he doesn’t understand why Woodley would insist on not fighting him, but is expecting this whole situation to have some clarity over the next few days.
“I’m not too bothered about it, but I get a feeling that he thinks that nobody is worthy of fighting him for the title. I think he just wants to hold onto the belt for as long as he can. He’s going to have to make a decision soon. If he doesn’t want to fight me, who does he want to fight? It’s just me and Colby and Colby is injured apparently, so who is there? It’s a weird one, but I’m just waiting to see what happens,” he said.
“Maybe he wants to hold on for the Colby fight or maybe he just doesn’t want to come back — maybe he just doesn’t want to fight me. There could be many reasons but I think we’re going to find out what’s going to happen in the next few days. I’m not thinking too much into it at the moment because I want to have more information. I just want to see what it’s going to be, whether it’s me fighting Woodley or if he’s going to wait to fight Colby.”
Regardless if he gets the fight or not, Till says he will move and seek other fights should he not get his much desire title fight with Tyron Woodley.
“I’m not going to wait around for it. I’ll just beat someone else and see what happens. I really feel he wants to just keep a hold of that title.”
Do believe Darren Till may actually get UFC Welterweight Title shot against Tyron Woodley?Follow MyMMANews.com on Social Media
Latest posts by George Kennebrew (see all)
- Dana White on Stipe Miocic: “Every time I turn around, he feels disrespected” - August 13, 2018
- Jessica Eye persevering through losses: “If you believe outsiders, maybe you’re in the wrong sport” - August 13, 2018
- Henry Cejudo: “It would be good to give next flyweight title shot to somebody other than Mighty Mouse” - August 13, 2018