Gilbert Melendez returns against Edson Barboza
Former UFC lightweight title contender and former Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez will return to action after what will be more than a year layoff when he takes on Edson Barboza at UFC on FOX 20.
Melendez has lost three of his last four UFC fights to include two title shots; one against Benson Henderson, and one against Anthony Pettis. His last taste of defeat occurred at UFC 188 in June of 2015, a split decision loss to Eddie Alvarez. Melendez’ sole UFC victory came in one of the most memorable bouts in UFC history, a decision win over Diego Sanchez.
Melendez (22-5) is currently serving a one-year suspension after testing positive for exogenous origin of testosterone metabolites in the Alvarez bout.
Barboza (17-4) is coming off a victory over Anthony Pettis at UFC 197 on April 23.
UFC on FOX 20 will held July 23 in Chicago at the United Center.
The current UFC on FOX 20 fight card looks like this:
- Ryan LaFlare vs. Alexander Yakovlev
- George Sullivan vs. Hector Urbina
- James Moontasri vs. Alex Oliveira
- Luis Henrique vs. Dmitry Smolyakov
- Kailin Curran vs. Felice Herrig
- Tony Martin vs. Michel Prazares
- Frankie Saenz vs. Eddie Wineland
- Edson Barboza vs. Gilbert Melendez
Latest posts by Eric Kowal (see all)
- Intervertebral disc injury forces Paige VanZant vs Jessica Eye cancellation for UFC 216 - September 25, 2017
- Tahar Hadbi to meet Mohammad Fakhreddine in clash of top Welterweights at Brave 9 - September 25, 2017
- Scott Heckman addresses, embraces new life role that led to born again fighter - September 25, 2017