John Lineker is out of his UFC Pittsburgh bantamweight fight with Cody Garbrandt after contracting Dengue Fever, a tropical disease caused by a mosquito bite. MMAjunkie today confirmed the news with a source close to the fighter. The Brazilian also confirmed the news today on his Twitter account after an initial report from Portal do Vale Tudo.
Symptoms of Dengue typically begin three to fourteen days after infection. This may include a high fever, headache, vomiting, muscle and joint pains, and a characteristic skin rash. Recovery generally takes less than two to seven days.
The UFC has not yet made an official announcement, and it is not known if a short-notice replacement for Garbrandt will be sought.
UFC Fight Night 83 takes place Sunday at Consol Energy Center in Pittsburgh. Following early prelims on UFC Fight Pass, the remainder of the card airs on FOX Sports 1.
Last week, UFC bantamweight Lauren Murphy lost her opponent in Sarah Moras, and a few weeks before that the main event took a hit after Donald Cerrone’s originally scheduled opponent, Tim Means, was pulled.
The most current UFC Fight Night 83 looks like this:
MAIN CARD (FOX Sports 1, 9 p.m. ET)
- Donald Cerrone vs. Alex Oliveira
- Derek Brunson vs. Roan Carneiro
- Cody Garbrandt vs. TBA
- Dennis Bermudez vs. Tatsuya Kawajiri
- Chris Camozzi vs. Joe Riggs
- Shane Campbell vs. James Krause
PRELIMINARY CARD (FOX Sports 1, 7 p.m. ET)
- Alex Garcia vs. Sean Strickland
- Oluwale Bamgbose vs. Daniel Sarafian
- Trevor Smith vs. Leonardo Augusto Guimaraes
- Nathan Coy vs. Jonavin Webb
PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass, 5:15 p.m. ET)
- Ashlee Evans-Smith vs. Marion Reneau
- Lauren Murphy vs. opponent TBA
- Shamil Abdurakhimov vs. Anthony Hamilton