Kyler Phillips will no longer be facing Raphael Assuncao on July 24 at UFC Vegas 32.
Assuncao posted a photo on Instagram where he revealed he tore his bicep. Shortly after that, Brazilian outlet, Combate reported that Assuncao was out of the bout and Phillips will now be fighting Paiva on July 24. MyMMANews was able to confirm the news with sources close to the situation.
Kyler Phillips (9-1) is currently ranked 14th at bantamweight and is coming off a decision win over Song Yadong at UFC 259 in March. It was the biggest win of his career and improved his UFC record to 3-0. His other wins were a TKO over Cameron Else and a decision win over Gabriel Silva. The 26-year-old was on the Contender Series in 2017 and scored a first-round TKO over James Gray. Yet, instead of getting a UFC contract, he went on TUF 27 and lost by majority decision to Brad Katona in the first round of the show.
Raulivan Paiva (20-3), meanwhile, is coming off back-to-back wins and will now be back at bantamweight. Last time out, the Brazilian earned a decision win over Zhalgas Zhumagulov at UFC 251 in a flyweight bout. He’s currently ranked 12th at flyweight and prior to the win on Fight Island, he scored a KO win over Mark De La Rosa. Paiva did lose his first two UFC fights as he lost a split decision to Kai Kara-France and a TKO loss to Rogerio Bontorin.
With the addition of Phillips vs. Paiva, UFC Vegas 32 is now as follows:
- Cory Sandhagen vs. TJ Dillashaw
- Aspen Ladd vs. Macy Chiasson
- Adrian Yanez vs. Randy Costa
- Punahele Soriano vs. Brendan Allen
- Shamil Abdurakhimov vs. Chirs Daukaus
- Kyler Phillips vs. Raulivan Paiva
- Maycee Barber vs. Miranda Maverick
- Trevin Jones vs. Tony Kelley
- Mickey Gall vs. Jordan Williams
- Ian Heinisch vs. Nassourdine Imavov
- Julio Arce vs. Andre Ewell
- Darren Elkins vs. Darrick Minner
- Cameron Else vs. Aaron Phillips
- Sijara Eubanks vs. Priscila Cachoeira
Cole Shelton covers MMA for BJPenn.com, MMANews, and MyMMANews.com while also being the lead MMA odds writer for Sports Betting Dime