Uriah Hall (9-4) was supposed to fight Costas Phillipou at UFC Fight Night next Sunday, Jan. 18. Phillipou, unfortunately, had to withdraw due to a training injury. With such short notice, Hall was left without an opponent, placing his chance to compete in danger.
Strikeforce and Bellator veteran Louis Taylor (11-3) accepted the challenge on short notice, saving Hall’s chance to compete this weekend in Boston. MMA H.E.A.T has reported that Taylor has now pulled out of the fight due to a pulled muscle in his back.
Louis Taylor posted on his social media, “Bad news. Pulled a muscle in my back and can’t fight next Sunday. Would’ve like to say UFC was understanding but they pulled my contract. All I can say is health over wealth”.
Taylor is on a four-fight winning streak and has 10 of his 11 wins coming off of finishes (five TKO/KO, five submissions). It is unknown if the UFC will decide to offer Taylor a new contract once he is healed up and ready to fight.
There is no word if the UFC will still look for a last minute opponent to face TUF 17 runner-up Hall, who has put together back-to-back wins over Chris Leben and Thiago Santos. Here is the current lineup of the UFC card:
MAIN CARD (FOX Sports 1, 10 p.m. ET)
- Conor McGregor vs. Dennis Siver
- Eddie Alvarez vs. Benson Henderson
- Uriah Hall vs. TBD
- Norman Parke vs. Gleison Tibau
PRELIMINARY CARD (FOX Sports 1, 7 p.m. ET)
- Cathal Pendred vs. Sean Spencer
- John Howard vs. Lorenz Larkin
- Zhang Lipeng vs. Chris Wade
- Patrick Holohan vs. Shane Howell
- Johnny Case vs. Frankie Perez
- Charles Rosa vs. Sean Soriano
PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass, 6 p.m. ET)
- Sean O’Connell vs. Matt Van Buren
- Tateki Matsuda vs. Joby Sanchez