One Championship 26 results: Main event ruled no contest after eye poke, Askren retains title
One Championship 26 was held today at the Mall of Asia Arena in Manila, Philippines and the main event was a bizarre one that is for sure.
One Championship welterweight champ, Ben Askren defended against challenger Luis Santos (61-9-1) but the fight was halted after an accidental eye poke from the “Funky.”
The fight was initially called off but then called back on when Santos was granted a five-minute rest period to recover. The break extended well past five minutes, but even with the extra time, “Sapo” said he was unable to see out of the damaged eye.
The situation is unfortunate for both fighters because Santos actually gave Askren a bit of a challenge with striking and a take down of his own. Askren will remain undefeated and keep his title but a rematch is probably in the works.
Official ONE Championship 26 results:
- Champ Ben Askren vs. Luis Santos declared no-contest (eye-poke) – Round 1
- Mark Striegl defeated Casey Suire via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 3:48
- Anatpong Bunrad defeated Geje Eustaquio via split decision
- Eugene Toquero defeated Brianata Rosadhi via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 3:41
- Edward Kelly defeated Jimmy Yabo via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 4:05
- Amir Khan defeated Bashir Ahmad via TKO (doctor’s stoppage) – Round 3, 3:20
- Xiaoyang Liu defeated Nicholas Lee via knockout (punch) – Round 1, 1:59
- Wang Ya Wei defeated Sunoto Peringkat via TKO (strikes) – Round 3, 1:21
Latest posts by Eric Kowal (see all)
- Jay Glazer sits down with ‘Big Country’ before Bellator 200! - May 20, 2018
- UFC Fight Night 129 results from Santiago, Chile – Maia vs. Usman - May 19, 2018
- Superior Challenge 10th year anniversary – Watch here - May 19, 2018