Bantamweight standouts Ricky Simon and Brian Kelleher have been rebooked at Featherweight – this comes after they was supposed to on January 16th but ultimately was cancelled, when Kelleher unfortunately tested positive for COVID-19. But now the fight will join the UFC 258 card.
But this is not the first time they have been scheduled, they was set to meet on UFC Fight Night 176, on Aug. 5, only to fall off when one of Simon’s cornermen tested positive for COVID-19. Now both men have pulled out – hopefully we see this fight happen this time. Third time is a charm, is what they say don’t they?
Simon, still manged to fight when Kelleher was forced to pull out and took on promotional newcomer Gaetano Pirello at UFC Fight Island 8 on Jan. 20. The Former Legacy Fighting Alliance champion Ricky Simon submitted the Belgium newcomer Gaetano Pirrello with an arm-triangle choke in the second round of their featured bantamweight prelim on Wednesday at Etihad Arena in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. Simon (17-3, 5-2 UFC) ended the fight 4:00 into Round 2, scoring his first submission in nearly three years.
Kelleher, remained on UFC Fight Night 176 after Simon withdrew, where he was planning on facing Kevin Natividad as a short-notice replacement. Natividad also withdrew from the card for undisclosed reasons, and the promotion had Ray Rodriguez on standby in case Natividad was not cleared to compete. “Boom” went on to lock up a 39-second guillotine choke to earn what was at the time quickest submission of the year in the UFC. That was Kelleher’s last appearance in the UFC. Win or lose, Kelleher has finished 3 of his last 6 bouts and winning multiple performance bonuses for his efforts.
UFC 258: Fight card
Subject to change
- Kamaru Usman (c) vs. Gilbert Burns, Welterweight
- Uriah Hall vs. Chris Weidman, Middleweight
- Maycee Barber vs. Alexa Grasso, Flyweight
- Polyana Viana vs. Mallory Martin, Strawweight
- Gabriel Green vs. Philip Rowe, Welterweight
- Ricky Simon vs. Brian Kelleher, Featherweight
- Julian Marquez vs. Maki Pitolo, Middleweight
- Kelvin Gastelum vs. Ian Heinisch, Middleweight
- Rodolfo Vieira vs. Anthony Hernandez, Middleweight
- Pedro Munhoz vs. Jimmie Rivera, Bantamweight
- Dhiego Lima vs. Belal Muhammad, Welterweight
- Gillian Robertson vs. Miranda Maverick, Flyweight
First locked my eyes on MMA in 2011, and from that night I knew I was invested – haven’t took my eyes of MMA since.
Growing up watching some of the greats to lock horns, and watch the best MMA has to offer, GSP,Silva, Jones and many more.
Been dedicated more then ever to write articles for MMA more then ever, the mission is to get to the top and wont stop until that is accomplished,