The Showroom inside the Buffalo Thunder Resort and Casino hosted Southwest MMA Series XXIX, a 10-fight card featuring three professional and seven amateur Mixed Martial Arts contests.
Quick results at the bottom of the page.
Daniel Kartushyn, from Luttrell/Yee MMA, got the night going by picking up a unanimous decision win over Caleb Gunter from JacksonWink MMA. Kartushyn would show off his striking and takedown defense in the first and third rounds, while surviving being on the ground in the second; to pick up a unanimous decision win.
The success would continue for Luttrell/Yee MMA, as Mario Moore scored a one-punch Knockout of Padro Ingram, from City Wolves in El Paso, TX; just 52 seconds into the fight.
Richard Jennings, from Desert Dynasty in Alamogordo, NM, beat up Val Guevara, from JacksonWink MMA. It was in the clinch with knees before taking the fight to the ground and submitting Guevara with a rare submission, the Peruvian necktie.
Rakim Thorpe, from JacksonWink MMA, leaned on his wrestling in the first two rounds, before showing off his leg kicks and overhand right; beating Dakota Munro, from Carlsbad, NM, by unanimous decision.
Aaron Taylor, from Jackson’s Acoma, while showing off his leg kicks leaned on his wrestling base and submission defense to defeat Isiah Torres, from Steel City Fight Team in Pueblo, CO; by split decision.
Anthony Valenzuela, from Elite Fitness in Odessa, TX, picked up a second round TKO of Andre Mitchell, from Westside Power Gym in Rio Rancho, NM; with devasting ground and pound.
Closing out the amateur card; Korey Windham, from Santa Fe Fitness, thrilled his hometown fans by making a successful debut stuffing Oklahoma’s Baltazar Austin Loza’s takedowns attempts. Before finishing the fight with a standing guillotine choke just before the first round ended.
The pro card started with Santa Fe’s Josiah Reyes making his pro debut against Jesse Tafoya, from JacksonWink. Reyes ate some big counter hooks early, which caused his nose to get busted up in the first round, before finding his range and unleashing a brutal assault of body kicks the rest of the fight. While Tafoya was able to land spinning backfists & elbows on the inside, it was the strikes by Reyes that would open Tafoya up around his eyes and left side of his head. The visual damage would lead to Reyes picking up the win by unanimous decision.
In the co-main event Ali Omar, from JacksonWink, would take out Michael Morgan, from Mongolia, TX, in one-minute flat. Omar would miss a spinning wheel kick but would follow up with two right knees, both connecting. One to the body and the second to the head dropping Morgan. Omar would follow to the mat, landing in mount and rained down punches till the ref jumped in.
The main event would end slightly faster, as Jalin Fuller, from Luttrell/Yee MMA, would stuff Kemoy Anderson’s take downs. The El Paso fighter, stuck on his knees would roll to his back allowing Fuller to take advantage, knocking out Anderson with massive straight punches.
- Welterweight: Jalin Fuller (2-0) def. Kemoy Anderson (0-1) by KO (punches on ground) 0:59 R1
- Lightweight: Ali Omar(2-1) vs. Michael Morgan (0-1) by TKO (strikes) 1:00 R1
- Flyweight: Josiah Reyes (1-0) def. Jesse Tafoya (1-3) by (29-28, 30-27 x2) unanimous decision
- Lightweight: Korey Windham (1-0) def. Baltazar Austin Loza (2-2) by submission (guillotine choke) 2:47 R1
- Bantamweight: Anthony Valenzuela (4-4) def. Andre Mitchell (2-6) by submission (rear naked choke) 1:42 R2
- Flyweight: Aaron Taylor (5-1) def. Isiah Torres 7-3 by (29-28, 28-29, 29-28) split decision
- Featherweight: Rakim Thorpe (7-3) def. Dakota Munro (5-7) by (29-28, 30-27 x2) unanimous decision
- Featherweight: Richard Jennings (4-2) def. Val Guevara (0-1) by submission (Peruvian necktie) 1:42 R2
- Heavyweight: Mario Moore (2-1) Padro Ingram 1-1 by KO (overhand right) 0:52 R1
- Welterweight: Daniel Kartushyn (3-1) def. Caleb Gunter (1-1) by (29-28 x3) unanimous decision
Team MMA for life. MMA Journalist since April 2011