The Ultimate Fighter Season 21 Finale Results
The MGM Grand Garden Arena hosted Sunday’s FOX Sports 1-televised Ultimate Fighter Season 21 (TUF 21) Finale event. There was still a buzz in the air over last night’s epic UFC 189, but the TUF 21 Finale should promised a great night of fights.
Jake Ellenberger and Stephen Thompson met in the evening’s main event while the co-main event determined who would win $300,000 and the Ultimate Fighter Team trophy. Hayder Hassan won the tournament for the American Top Team and earned $200,000 for his gym, which they generously donated back to the Wounded Warrior Project.
Thompson proved that Karate is not dead in MMA as he defeated the Juggernaut with not one but two impressive spinning back kicks.
Hassan fought Kamaru Usman of the Blackzilians but was dominated for the majority of the fight and submitted in the second round.
Also, Michael Graves and Vicente Luque went toe-to-toe with Graves pulling out a decision.
Former Invicta FC atomweight champion Michelle Waterson has moved up to the 115-pound division and took on Angela Magana in her first outing. Waterson fought through an armbar in the first round to make it into the second and eventually the third round where she submitted Magana via rear-naked choke.
Josh Samman submitted Brazilian, Caio Magalhaes with a rear-naked choke in the first round. Samman would approach Magalhaes to bury the hatchet after the fith but Magalhaes would not have it.
Official TUF 21 Finale results:
MAIN CARD (FOX Sports 1, 9 p.m. ET)
- Stephen Thompson defeated Jake Ellenberger via KO (spinning back kick) – Round 1, 4:29
- Kamaru Usman defeated Hayder Hassan via submission (arm-triange) – Round 2, 1:19 – “TUF 21″ welterweight tournament final
- Michael Graves defeated Vicente Luque via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Jorge Masvidal defeated Cezar Ferreira via KO (punches) – Round 1, 4:22
- Michelle Waterson defeated Angela Magana via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 3, 2:38
- Maximo Blanco defeated Mike De La Torre via TKO (punch) – Round 1, 0:16
PRELIMINARY CARD (FOX Sports 1, 7 p.m. ET)
- Josh Samman defeated Caio Magalhaes via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 2:52
- Jerrod Sanders defeated Russell Doane via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 29-28)
- Trevor Smith defeated Dan Miller via unanimous decision (30-25, 30-25, 30-26)
- George Sullivan defeated Dom Waters via unanimous decision (29-27, 30-25, 29-28)
PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass, 6:30 p.m. ET)
- Willie Gates defeated Darrell Montague via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 1:36