UFC Fight Night 70 results – Romero knocks Machida out cold
UFC Fight Night 70 took place at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel and Casino, in Hollywood, Florida, Saturday, June 27.
Yesterday, Lewis Gonzalez came in four pounds over the 170 pound threshold and as a result will be fined 20 percent of his fight purse.
Several of the fights were cancelled or pushed to other events last week after Visa issues forced changes to the card.
Due to an issue affecting the Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs visa system and a technical problem with the Consular Consolidated Database, the UFC was unable to secure entry into the country for 12 of its athletes slated to compete.
More on that debacle here: https://www.mymmanews.com/ufc-required-to-make-adjustments-to-machida-vs-romero-event/
UFN 70 was headlined by a middleweight clash between former UFC light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida and Olympic wrestler Yoel Romero and unfortunately for “the Dragon,” he suffered yet another loss, this time a knockout via elbows from Romero.
In the evening’s co-main event Lorenz Larkin and Santiago Ponzinibbio put on an incredible second round in a bout that was scheduled for three but ended at 3:07 of Round 2, when Larkin viciously TKO’d his opponent.
Thiago Santos made very quick work of Steve Bosse with a highlight reel head kick knockout, while Ultimate Fighter season 19 veteran Eddie Gordon had a rough outing with Antonio Carlos Junior, losing in the third round via submission.
Official UFC Fight Night 70 results below.
MAIN CARD (FOX Sports 1, 10 p.m. ET)
- Yoel Romero defeated Lyoto Machia via KO, Round 3, 1:38
- Lorenz Larkin defeated Santiago Ponzinibbio via TKO, Round 2, 3:07
- Antonio Carlos Junior defeated Eddie Gordon via submission (rear-naked choke) Round 3, 4:37
- Thiago “Marreta” Santos defeated Steve Bosse via knockout (head kick) Round 1, 0:29
- Hacran Dias defeated Levan Makashvili via split decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
PRELIMINARY CARD (FOX Sports 2, 8 p.m. ET)
- Alex Oliveira defeated Joe Merritt via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Leandro Silva defeated Lewis Gonzalez via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-27)
- Tony Sims defeated Steve Montgomery via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 2:43
- Sirwan Kakai defeated Danny Martinez via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
MyMMANews.com – We cover everything from MMA, BJJ, Bare Knuckle, Wrestling, Boxing, Kickboxing, and Judo