UFC Fight Night 73 took place today at the Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, Tennessee. The main card aired on FOX Sports 1 following prelims on FOX Sports 2 and UFC Fight Pass.
The card was headlined by a light heavyweight bout between Ovince Saint Preux (18-6) and Glover Teixeira (22-4). Saint Preux was riding a two fight win streak, most recently a KO over the durable Patrick Cummins back in April.
Teixeira had not fought since October 2014 where he dropped a unanimous decision to Phil Davis. It was his second loss in a row; the one prior, a light heavyweight title bout against then champion Jon Jones.
Saint Preux had real trouble with takedown defense and going to the ground with Teixeira. That problem culminated in the third round when he went to sleep during a submission attempt from his opponent.
Yesterday the Sara McMann vs Amanda Nunes bout was moved to the main card on FOX Sports 1, while the Chris Camozzi vs Tom Watson bout was moved to the preliminary card airing on FOX Sports 2 beginning at 8 p.m.
McMann, who said despite her loss to UFC women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey, was the one who could ultimately bounce back and defeat Rousey, was completely dominated by Nunes and fell in the first round.
The 100th fighter in the UFC octagon from the Ring of Combat, the most prestigious professional MMA organization in New Jersey, Oluwale Bamgbose took on fellow New Yorker and Ultimate Fighter finalist, Uriah Hall in the main event on the FOX Sports 2 preliminary card. Unfortunately for Bamgbose he would suffer his first professional loss and it happened in the very first round.
Pennsylvania’s Chris Dempsey moved up to light heavyweight to take on the undefeated Chris Wilson. Wilson made short work of Dempsey knocking him out in just 50 seconds.
The full UFC Fight Night 73 results are below:
MAIN CARD (FOX Sports 1, 10 p.m. ET)
- Glover Teixeira defeated Ovince Saint Preux via submission (rear-naked choke) Round 3, 3:10
- Beneil Dariush defeated Michael Johnson via split decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Derek Brunson defeated Sam Alvey via TKO (strikes) Round 1, 2:19
- Jared Rosholt defeated Timothy Johnson via decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Amanda Nunes defeated Sara McMann via submission (rear-naked choke) Round 1, 2:53
- Ray Borg defeated Geane Herrera via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
PRELIMINARY CARD (FOX Sports 2, 8 p.m. ET)
- Uriah Hall defeated Oluwale Bamgbose via TKO (strikes) Round 1, 2:32
- Chris Camozzi defeated Tom Watson via unanimous decision (29-27, 30-26, 29-27)
- Dustin Ortiz defeated Willie Gates via TKO (strikes) Round 3, 2:58
- Frankie Saenz defeated Sirwan Kakai via split decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)
PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass, 6:30 p.m. ET)
- Jonathan Wilson defeated Chris Dempsey via TKO (strikes) Round 1, 0:50
- Marlon Vera defeated Roman Salazar via submission (triangle choke) Round 2, 2:15
- Scott Holtzman defeated Anthony Christodoulou via submission (rear-naked choke) Round 3, 2:40
Latest posts by Eric Kowal (see all)
- UFC Fight Night 118 weigh-in results – Sam Alvey misses weight on short notice fight - October 20, 2017
- Tommy Hayden Faces Jason Ponet at Full Metal Dojo 15: ‘Come out to Play’ - October 20, 2017
- Jarred Brooks willing to play bad guy to work for title shot against Demetrious Johnson - October 20, 2017