UFC Fight Night 74 went down today at the SaskTel Centre in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada. The uncharacteristic Sunday evening event was headlined by a featherweight bout that could potentially launch the winner into title shot contention as Max Holloway (13-3) and Charles Oliveira (20-4) were set to do battle.
Oliveira came in riding a four-fight win streak while Holloway sought out his seventh consecutive win. Unfortunately for both men the fight was over quickly due to an injury to Oliveira’s shoulder/collar bone region.
In the co-main event Neil Magny picked up where he left off before his loss to Demian Maia earlier this month as he scored a split decision win tonight over the gritty Erick Silva.
‘The Predator” Patrick Cote became the first man to TKO Josh Burkman in his entire professional mixed martial arts career. The two fighters traded shots back and forth in a slugfest until Cote was able to defeat his opponent via strikes in the third.
The night’s most shocking moment came when after earning a win over Sam Stout in just 54-seconds, Frankie Perez announced his retirement from mixed martial arts at just 26 years of age. Perez (10-2, 1-1 UFC) said “It’s all about my family. I’ve dedicated my life to this sport since I was 17, and I’m 26 now. I’ve never taken a year off, or even a break. I’ve been fighting non-stop since I was 17. I’m just ready for the next chapter. I want to open up a school, find a girl and make some babies.”
The full UFC Fight Night 74 results are:
MAIN CARD (FOX Sports 1, 9 p.m. ET)
- Max Holloway defeated Charles Oliveira via TKO (injury) – Round 1, 1:39
- Neil Magny defeated Erick Silva via split decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
- Patrick Cote defeated Josh Burkman via TKO (punches) – Round 3, 1:26
- Francisco Trinaldo defeated Chad Laprise via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 2:43
- Olivier Aubin-Mercier defeated Tony Sims via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Valerie Letourneau defeated Maryna Moroz via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
PRELIMINARY CARD (FOX Sports 1, 7 p.m. ET)
- Frankie Perez defeated Sam Stout via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 0:54
- Felipe Arantes defeated Yves Jabouin via submission (armbar) – Round 1, 4:21
- Nikita Krylov defeated Marcos Rogerio de Lima via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 2:29
- Chris Kelades defeated Chris Beal via split decision (27-30, 29-28, 29-28)
PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass, 6 p.m. ET)
- Shane Campbell defeated Elias Silverio via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Misha Cirkunov defeated Daniel Jolly via knockout (punches) – Round 1, 4:45
Latest posts by Eric Kowal (see all)
- Gina Iniong views rematch with Mei Yamaguchi as gateway to world title shot - November 20, 2017
- Ben Askren has no intention of giving up welterweight gold in career’s final bout - November 20, 2017
- Volkan Oezdemir arrested on aggravated battery charge in Florida - November 19, 2017