UFC on FOX 17 took place today at the Amway Center in Orlando, Florida. The preliminary bouts streamed on UFC Fight Pass followed by FOX Sports 1, and then the main card switching over to FOX.
Dos Anjos Defends
In the main event, UFC lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos defended his title against “Cowboy” Donald Cerrone. From the very start dos Anjos hurt Cerrone and the entire fight lasted little more than a minute as Cowboy took more than 20 unanswered shots. Referee Herb Dean stepped in and called an end to the contest.
There was some confusion yesterday as to the accuracy of the scale employed by the Florida State Athletic Commission as several fighters missed weight on their first attempts much to their surprise.
Even UFC matchmaker Joe Silva questioned the official scale’s accuracy while talking to a commission representative.
The card brought a lot of interesting storylines to the table. For starters, it was the first title defense that dos Anjos would make and Cerrone’s first title shot since coming to the UFC after the WEC merger.
Overeem TKO’s JDS
Also, which heavyweight would prevail after years of build up between Junior Dos Santos and Alistair Overeem? The first round did not prove to have much action. The two heavyweight felt each other out before really engaging. The few shots that did land on Dos Santos opened up a few cuts. Dos Santos put together a few combos and backed Overeem up against the cage in the second round. He smiled at Overeem and backed off which was the beginning of the end, a fatal mistake. Overeem connected, knocked Dos Santos down and went in for the kill.
Nate Diaz finalled returns to competition after more than a year off and took on a very dangerous Michael Johnson. The two men stood toe-to-toe for three rounds and traded shots back and forth. The boxing that Diaz displayed was some of the best of his career. After the third and final round had concluded and the bell rung, Diaz applied a kneebar to Johnson, who in return kicked Diaz. The two men had to be separated and they then exchanged words. We will have to see if either fighter receives any punishment for their actions.
Diaz then went off on a rant in his post fight speech which was completely censored by FOX but we have the video here below.
UNCENSORED Nate Diaz UFC on FOX 17 Post Fight SpeechHere it is. The complete UNCENSORED post fight speech that Nate Diaz made tonight on UFC on FOX 17
Posted by My MMA News on Saturday, December 19, 2015
New Ladies Victorious
Two newcomers to the women’s strawweight and bantamweight divisions will also look to shine as Karolina Kowalkiewicz and Valentina Shevchenko appear in the octagon for the first time.
Shevchenko was the first newcomer to appear on the night and was able to outpoint former Strikeforce champion Sarah Kaufman in a three-round affair. Koalkiewicz would go to a decision against Markos, one that she too would win. Both newcomers were successful in their first UFC appearances.
The Barncat Returns
Also, the return of “The Barncat” Tamdan McCrory proved to be a success as McCrory fought a tough battle against Josh Samman before putting him away with a triangle choke in the third round.
The rematch between TUF 21 stars Hayder Hassan and Vicente Luque was far different from their original outing, as Hassan seemed to have a new approach in tactics and unfortunately for him, he shot in on Luque, a BJJ specialist and was put to sleep for this mistake.
The full UFC on FOX 17 results are below:
MAIN CARD (FOX, 8 p.m. ET)
- Champ Rafael dos Anjos defeated Donald Cerrone via TKO – Round 1, 1:06 – for lightweight title
- Alistair Overeem defeated Junior Dos Santos via TKO – Round 2, 4:43
- Nate Diaz defeated Michael Johnson via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Karolina Kowalkiewicz defeated Randa Markos via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
PRELIMINARY CARD (FOX Sports 1, 5 p.m. ET)
- Charles Oliveira defeated Myles Jury via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 1, 3:05
- Nate Marquardt defeated C.B. Dollaway via KO – Round 2, 0:28
- Valentina Shevchenko defeated Sarah Kaufman via split decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Tamdan McCrory defeated Josh Samman via submission (triangle choke) – Round 3, 4:10
- Nik Lentz defeated Danny Castillo via split decision (30-27, 29-28, 28-29)
- Jim Alers vs. Cole Miller declared a No-Contest after an inadvertent eye poke caused a dotor’s stoppage at Round 2, 1:44
PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass, 3:30 p.m. ET)
- Kamaru Usman defeated Leon Edwards via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 29-28)
- Vicente Luque defeated Hayder Hassan via submission (Anaconda choke) – Round 1, 2:13
- Francis Ngannou defeated Luis Henrique via KO – Round 2, 2:53