Alex Morono is getting to fight one more time in 2022.
According to David Van Auken, and since confirmed by MyMMANews, Morono is stepping up on short notice to face Santiago Ponzinibbio at a 180lbs catchweight fight at UFC 282 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Ponzinibbio was supposed to fight Robbie Lawler who pulled out on Monday.
Alex Morono (22-7 and one No Contest) is on a four-fight win streak and coming off a decision win over Matt Semelsberger at UFC 277. Prior to that, he had decision wins over Mickey Gall and David Zawada with the win streak starting with a first-round TKO win over Donald Cerrone in May of 2021. His last loss was a short-notice bout against Anthony Pettis, which is a fight he dropped by decision.
Morono has been in the UFC since 2016 and has a record of 11-4 and one No Contest. In his UFC tenure, he holds notable wins over Max Griffin, and Zak Ottow among others.
Santiago Ponzinibbio (28-6) is on a two-fight losing skid after losing back-to-back split decisions against Michel Pereira and Geoff Neal. His last win was back in June of 2021 as he beat Miguel Baeza by decision. In his return to the UFC, he suffered a KO loss to Li Jingliang in 2021 in his first fight since 2018.
Ponzinibbio has been in the UFC since 2013 and has a record of 10-5. In his UFC career, he holds notable wins over Neil Magny, Sean Strickland, Gunnar Nelson, Mike Perry, Court McGee, and Zak Cummings among others.
With Morono stepping up to face Ponzinibbio, UFC 282 is now as follows:
- Jan Blachowicz vs. Magomed Ankalaev
- Jared Gordon vs. Paddy Pimblett
- Alex Morono vs. Santiago Ponzinibbio
- Dricus Du Plessis vs. Darren Till
- Bryce Mitchell vs. Ilia Topuria
- Chris Daukaus vs. Jairzinho Rozenstruik
- Jay Perrin vs. Raul Rosas Jr.
- Dalcha Lungiambula vs. Edmen Shahbazyan
- Ovince Saint Preux vs. opponent TBA
- Joaquin Buckley vs. Chris Curtis
- Alexander Hernandez vs. Billy Quarantillo
- TJ Brown vs. Erik Silva
- Daniel da Silva vs. Vinicius Salvador
- Steven Koslow vs. Cameron Saaiman
Cole Shelton covers MMA for BJPenn.com, MMANews, and MyMMANews.com while also being the lead MMA odds writer for Sports Betting Dime