Ben Saunders injured, out of fight against Erick Silva
After going 2-0 since his return to the UFC, Ben ‘Killa B’ Saunders has been forced to withdraw from his upcoming March 21 bout against Erick Silva in Brazil.
The Ultimate Fight Night 62 bout which was to be held at the Maracanazinho Gymnasium in Rio de Janeiro was scheduled to be the evening’s co-main event but Saunders was recently injured in training and cannot compete.
Silva is coming off a December win over Mike Rhodes in which he submitted the Iowa native via arm-triangle choke.
At this time a replacement for Saunders has not been named and the rest of the fight card currently looks like this.
MAIN CARD (FOX Sports 1, 10 p.m. ET)
- Ryan LaFlare vs. Demian Maia
- Erick Silva vs. TBA
- Gilbert Burns vs. Alex Oliveira
- Tony Martin vs. Leonardo Santos
- Shayna Baszler vs. Amanda Nunes
- Andre Fili vs. Godofredo Pepey
PRELIMINARY CARD (FOX Sports 1, 8 p.m. ET)
- Akbarh Arreola vs. Francisco Trinaldo
- Katsunori Kikuno vs. Kevin Souza
- Drew Dober vs. Leandro Silva
- Cain Carrizosa vs. Leonardo Mafra
PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass, 7 p.m. ET)
- Jorge de Oliveira vs. Christos Giagos
- Fredy Serrano vs. Bentley Syler
Saunders earned the “Submission of the Year” award in 2014 with his omoplata finish over Chris Heatherly back in August. It was the first submission of its kind in the 20 plus history of the UFC.