In his first interview since it was announced, Cody Stamann discusses stepping in on short notice to fight Alejandro Perez at UFC 235. Stamann is replacing Song Yadong, due to undisclosed reasons, on the ESPN prelims. The event will take place March 2 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.
“Spartan” discusses getting the call on short notice and not hesitating for even a second when the opportunity arose, what he took away from his last fight against Aljamain Sterling at UFC 228 — a fight Stamann considers his first “real loss” as a professional — how close a potential matchup with Jimmie Rivera came to happening, his plans to “beat the s–t out of” Perez on fight night, the state of the bantamweight division, the rap battles between teammate Jarred Brooks and Brian Kelleher, and much more.
UFC 235 will be headlined by a light heavyweight title fight between Jon Jones and challenger Anthony Smith. The welterweight title will also be on the line as Tyron Woodley defends against Kamaru Usman.
Full UFC 235 Fight Card
Pay-Per-View Main Card, 10 p.m. EST:
- (C) Jon Jones vs. Anthony Smith – for UFC light heavyweight title
- (C) Tyron Woodley vs. Kamaru Usman – for UFC welterweight title
- Ben Askren vs. Robbie Lawler
- Tecia Torres vs. Weili Zhang
- Cody Garbrandt vs. Pedro Munhoz
Preliminary Card, ESPN, 8 p.m. EST:
- Jeremy Stephens vs. Zabit Magomedsharipov
- Ovince Saint Preux vs. Misha Cirkunov
- Alejandro Perez vs. Cody Stamann
- Mickey Gall vs. Diego Sanchez
UFC Fight Pass Preliminary Card, 6 p.m. EST
- Charles Byrd vs. Edmen Shahbazyan
- Macy Chiasson vs. Gina Mazany
- Marlon Vera vs. Frankie Saenz
- Polyana Viana vs. Hannah Cifers