Dana White: Conor McGregor goes back to 145, Wonderboy title shot
UFC President Dana White cleared up a few of the organization’s title pictures earlier today in an exclusive interview with UFC.com
After his headlining UFC 202 rematch with Nate Diaz, Conor McGregor will return to 145-pounds to defend his title.
“I fully expect Conor to come back and defend his 145-pound title,” White told UFC.com in an exclusive interview. “I think that Nate feels his brother should have the fight at 170, but Nick is not going to come back and fight for the title right away.
“There are other guys deserving of a title shot. Stephen ‘Wonderboy’ Thompson is going to fight for the 170-pound title and then we’ll see what happens with Nick and Nate.”
Wonderboy has beaten both former champion Johny Hendricks and former title contender, Rory MacDonald back-to-back. When Woodley defeated Robbie Lawler for the title last month, Woodley said he would like to get a “money fight” against either Nick Diaz or Georges St. Pierre.
White put those requests to sleep with the Wonderboy announcement, a fight that is well deserved.
Latest posts by Eric Kowal (see all)
- UFC Founder Art Davie involved in new Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship - June 22, 2017
- B2Digital Signs Agreement to acquire Hard Rock MMA - June 22, 2017
- UFC welcomes Golden Knights to Las Vegas - June 22, 2017