UFC FIGHT NIGHT® SHANGHAI: BISPING vs. GASTELUM presented by General Tire is slated for November 25, 2017 at the Mercedes-Benz Arena
SHANGHAI, CHINA – The UFC has announced that the number 2-ranked UFC contender Michael Bisping (31-8, fighting out of Manchester, England) is confirmed to replace Anderson Silva, who has been removed from the Shanghai event following a potential USADA anti-doping policy violation. UFC FIGHT NIGHT® SHANGHAI: BISPING vs. GASTELUM presented by General Tire takes place at the Mercedes-Benz Arena, Shanghai on November 25, 2017.
The historic event will be available LIVE and on-demand on UFC FIGHT PASS, the UFC’s digital subscription channel. Fans are encouraged to visit UFCFIGHTPASS.com to register for a 7-day free trial.
One of the most accomplished athletes in the UFC, Bisping tied for the most victories in UFC history, racking up 20 Octagon® wins during his long and successful MMA career. Ranked second in the middleweight division and has only recently lost the title to Georges St-Pierre at UFC 217, Bisping will be looking to make a statement as he returns to China to prove that he is one of the all-time greats and get back on track for title contention. A fan favorite, Bisping is a must-watch, and MMA fans in Shanghai and all over the world are in for a thrilling event as the legend meets No. 8-ranked middleweight Kelvin Gastelum (14-3, 1 NC, fighting out of Yuma, Arizona, US) in the Octagon for the very first time.
Gastelum has already made a name for himself in the stacked middleweight division with victories over Tim Kennedy and Johny Hendricks. Like Bisping, Gastelum is a former winner of The Ultimate Fighter, and now the 26-year-old is looking at this bout as the next step on his path to a title shot as he looks to take down the former champion.
In the co-main event, China’s elite MMA welterweight star Li Jingliang (13-4, fighting out of Beijing, China) squares off in a welterweight clash against Zak Ottow (15-4, fighting out of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA ). Fighting in front of a home crowd and his China Top Team family is a dream come true for Li. With notable wins over Frank Camacho, Bobby Nash and Dhiego Lima, the 29-year old will be looking to showcase his striking and wrestling skills and prove why he is China’s most impressive MMA athlete today.
UFC FIGHT NIGHT®: BISPING vs. GASTELUM will also boast the following fights:
• Featherweight prospect Alex Caceres (13-10-1NC, fighting out of Miami, Florida, USA) meets new Chinese UFC athlete Wang “The Dongbei Tiger” Guan (18-1-1, fighting out of Dongbei, China)
• “King of Kung Fu” Muslim Salikhov (12-1) meets Alex Garcia (14-4, fighting out of Montreal, Quebec, Canada) in a welterweight battle
• Russian Wushu-Sanda champion Zabit Magomedshapirov (12-1, fighting out of Dagestan, Russia) takes on Sheymon Moraes (9-1) in a featherweight clash
• A welterweight matchup pits another new UFC athlete from China, Kenan Song, against Bobby Nash (8-3, fighting out of Detroit, Michigan, USA)
• In a women’s strawweight showdown Kailin Curran (4-5, fighting out of Ewa Beach, HI, USA) will meet UFC debutante Xiaonan Yan (7-1, 1 NC, fighting out of Liaoning, China)
• In a clash of heavyweights Chase Sherman (11-3, fighting out of D’lberville, Mississippi, USA) faces Russia’s Shamil Abdurahimov (17-4, fighting out of Dagestan, Russia)
• Women’s bantamweight prospects Yanan Wu (9-1, fighting out of Liaoning, China) and American Gina Mazany (4-1, fighting out of Las Vegas, NV, USA) square off at 135 pounds
• Making his UFC featherweight debut Wuliji Buren (10-4, fighting out of China) meets striking expert Rolando Dy (8-6, 1 NC, fighting out of Paranaque City, Philippines)
• In a heavyweight meeting, Cyril Asker (8-3, fighting out of Avignon, France) takes on James Mulheron (7-2, fighting out of Sunderland, England)
“With just two weeks to go, we are ready to bring our great fans on mainland China their first-ever UFC live event” UFC VP of Asia Pacific Kevin Chang said. “We are honored by the overwhelming response from fans and we look forward to giving them a night to remember”.
Tickets for UFC Fight Night Shanghai presented by General Tire are almost sold out, the only available category remaining is P6 RMB480, tickets can be purchased through Damai.cn.
Latest posts by Eric Kowal (see all)
- Watch controversial Keith Lee vs. Jeremy Pacatiw – Brave 14 fight in full - August 21, 2018
- Iran Diaz enlists ex-champ Juan Francisco Estrada as training partner - August 21, 2018
- Featherweight Title Fight Between Patricio ‘Pitbull’ & Emmanuel Sanchez Headlines Bellator’s Return to Tel Aviv, Israel on Nov. 15 - August 20, 2018