Will Martinez wins superfight, Michael Padilla open weight tourney winner, PHOTO GALLERY
Earlier today an open weight submission only grappling tournament was held at MMA Signatures Jiu Jitsu Asylum in Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania.
The tournament was contested under Eddie Bravo Invitational Rules. In the final contest, Michael Padilla was crowned victorious and champion. Also, in a superfight between a pair of competitors with the same last name, Brett and Will Martinez, it was the Philadelphia BJJ instructor in Will, who applied the winning submission hold and walked away with the cash prize.
Photo gallery by MyMMANews.com photographer William McKee below. More than 200+ photos. Click to enlarge.
- Competitors flip a coin to decide who goes first.
- Competitors choose to start attacking from back or “spiderweb” position.
- Competitors take turns to attack from chosen position.
- If one competitor submits, and the other does not (opponent escapes), he is declared winner.
- If both competitors escape, we move to the next overtime round (maximum 3 overtime rounds).
- If there are no submissions at the end of the three overtime rounds, the competitor with the fastest combined escape wins the match.
Brett Martinez took the fight to Will early on, getting the fight to the mats. Brett looked great early with a few submission attempts but Will applied a leg log submission and forced a verbal tap. Will Martinez wins the event SuperFight.