Southwest MMA Series XXVIII was held at the at Buffalo Thunder Resort and Casino just north of Santa Fe, N.M on June 8. The MMA event featured six bouts, five amateur, and a professional main event.
For the forth time in a row Santa Fe’s Jess “Vanilla Gorilla” Martinez found himself in the spotlight in his home town, traveling from Texas City, Josh “Superglue” Altum is road warrior who loves to play the spoiler.
The night kicked off with Derrick Pringle and Jacob Martos engaging in a grappling battle. Pringle utilized his wrestling, took the top position and escaped the Martos submission attempts before taking the back and submitting Martos by rear-naked choke in the third round.
CJ Boston dropped Keith Dawson early in the first round and would lean on his grappling to take the decision win in fight number two.
Heavyweights Mario Moore and Billy Ray Valdez went all three rounds with Moore winning the first and third rounds with powerful right hands and take down defense.
Aaron Reese remains unbeaten in his amateur career grinding up Andre Mitchell making great use of his elbows in ground and pound.
In the co-main event Rakim Thorpe got the finish he was chasing catching Jeremy Alba in a rear naked choke with just seconds left on the clock in the second round.
The main event was a barn burner leaving both fighters bloody around the eyes. Martinez showed major development in his striking, utilizing a beautiful jab cross combination and scoring big with same side attacks. The latter parts of the fight would be contested on the ground with Martinez escaping submission attempts and winning the position battle. Altum would do major damage to Martinez’s left eye with elbows from his back. After three rounds Jess Martinez remains unbeaten with a clean sweep on the score cards.
- Pro Main Event
- 145: Jess Martinez (6-0) def. Josh Altum (3-1) by (30-27 x3) unanimous decision
- Amateur Card
- 145: Rakim Thorpe (7-3) def. Jeremy Alba (4-3) by submission (rear naked choke) 2:53 R2
- 135: Aaron Reese (3-0) def. Andre Mitchell (2-5) by (29-28, 30-27 x2) unanimous decision
- 265: Mario Moore (1-1) def. Billy Ray Valdez (1-1) by (29-28, 28-29, 29-28) split decision
- 170: CJ Boston (3-3) def. Keith Dawson (4-1) by (30-25, 30-27 x2) unanimous decision
- 130: Derrick Pringle (2-0) def. Jacobo Martos (1-1) by submission (rear naked choke) 1:35 R3