The GSP Workout – Georges St-Pierre is back. Work out like a champ
What a time to do a Georges St. Pierre themed workout. After the news of Georges coming back, I figured this week would be perfect for this workout.
This is one of my favorite workouts that I have my clients and classes do from time to time. The first time I had my class do this workout was right before Georges defended his title against Carlos Condit. I watched a few training videos of Georges and put together this full body MMA workout based on what I read and watched leading up to the fight.
The workout is split up into four parts. You start with a pair of dumbbells or kettlebells and use them to perform three exercises back to back before you put them down for a sprint. Try to do the circuit 3 times without a rest. When it is completed you should take a one-to-two minute rest before you start circuit two.
- Thrusters 15 reps (squat and press).
- Bent- Over Rows 15 reps.
- Alternating Lunges 8 reps each side.
- Elliptical 30 second sprint and repeat all 4 things 3 times.
The second circuit is all bodyweight. There are 4 exercises that you are to repeat four times. When the four rounds are done you will run or jog a half mile. When everything is completed take a one-to-two minute rest. This round goes as follows:
- Hand Release Pushups 15.
- Stepups 10 right leg then 10 left leg.
- TRX Muscle Ups (sit down, hold on to the straps and use your shoulders, arms, and hips to propel yourself up to a straight standing position).
- Side Lunges 10 right leg then 10 left leg and repeat everything 4 times.
*When 4 rounds of 1-4 are completed run 800 meters (half mile).
The third round is very similar to the first round that we started with. You will grab a set of dumbbells or kettlebells, and repeat three movements with the weights. When they are completed, you will perform a 30 second sprint on the elliptical, and repeat everything 3 more times without a rest(if you can). When the three rounds are done, take a one-to-two minute rest before moving into the final round.
- Incline Bench Press 20 reps.
- Clean and Press 15 reps.
- Stiff Leg Deadlift 20 reps.
- Elliptical 30 second sprint and repeat everything 3 times.
The fourth and final round is for the core. Similar to the second round with the half mile run, there will be a half mile row to put an exclamation mark on the workout. There are four core movements you will repeat four times, then finish with the 800 meter row.
1.Kimura Situps 10 right then 10 left.
2.Russian Twist 10 each side.
3.V-ups or Leg Raises 15 reps
- Plank between 45 seconds and 1 minute. Repeat everything 4 times.
*Row for 800 meters.
Give it a try! Good luck!