Most people refrain from taking regular health checkups which in future may result in serious medical conditions, or even death due to diseases that could have been prevented at the first place. Preventive health checkups play a vital role in avoiding medical conditions and maintaining health. The main purpose of preventive health checkup is to prevent disease at first place and mitigate the risk of occurrence of certain diseases and medical conditions. Thus, aids in maintaining a flawless health.
People in the age group of 35-65 years are affected by lifestyle diseases. Looking at the scenario, it is urged by international consensus that men, above 35 years of age, and women above 40 years of age, should go through preventive health checkup. In case of a history of a particular disease in the family, it is advisable to start screening tests 10 years early, or when the youngest member of the family develops a disease such as diabetes and coronary heart disease.
The preventive measure includes physical exercise, nutritious diet, immunization against diseases and medical checkup. Combating a disease at its earliest stages is easy. As the disease progresses, it becomes difficult for the patient to combat the disease, with suitable treatment even. There are certain signs and symptoms that are not apparent and cause illness if not treated at the right time.
The signs and symptoms can be detected through preventive health checkups that include X-ray, blood test and routine screening. The results of preventive health checkups are accurate. Preventive health checkups are essential for individuals who are susceptible to various health conditions.
A regular health checkup helps in diagnosing and treating a condition, which, if left untreated, can turn into chronic conditions. The examinations and laboratory tests that are prescribed depends on a person’s age, sex, and lifestyle. These checkups not only build patient-doctor relationship but also allow the doctor to promote a healthy lifestyle by educating patient and counselling sessions.
There are multiple benefits of preventive health checkups. A person is not only saved from deadly symptoms and diseases but also saves hefty medical expenditure required in the treatment of such diseases.
Most medical experts suggest that one of the best ways to take care of one’s health is to go for yearly checkups. Mentioned below are the reasons one should undergo a preventive health checkup:
1. Treatment of a disease at an initial stage: There are various diseases that can be detected when diagnosed early. This is true in the case of chronic diseases, such as cancer. Regular preventive health checkups help in identifying the need for treatment immediately but also give a chance to improve one’s health.
2. Benefits people from all age groups: During young age, it is natural for a person to feel invulnerable. But as a person ages, it starts with mild aches and pain that leads to high blood pressure, diabetes and high cholesterol. Hence, if a person takes care of their health at the right time, they would be able to prevent all these ailments. A human body needs to be modulated regularly and checked for optimal performance.
3. Health checkups are covered by insurance: Many insurers cover the cost of preventive health checkups in their medical insurance policies. A little research can save the small investment that is required for checkups. The insurance cover also includes tax benefits under Section 80D of the Income Tax Act. Apart from this, one can get tax deductions up to INR 5000 for preventive health checkups for themselves and their family.
4. Finding effective medication: Serious health conditions such as cancer if diagnosed at an initial stage can be easily treated by simple medicine without undergoing a complicated surgery. In such a way, one can not only save their money but also get cured without going through any painful treatment.
Health checkups are useful in diagnosing various health conditions that can be immediately treated. As each individual is different, a personalized approach to health checkups proves to be valuable in maintaining health.
5. Health checkups are covered by insurance: Many insurance cover the cost of preventive health checkups in their medical insurance policies. A little research can save the small investment that is required for checkups. The insurance cover also includes tax benefits under Section 80D of the Income Tax Act. Apart from this, one can get tax deductions upto INR 5000 for preventive health checkups for themselves and their family.
6. Finding invisible illness: In India, health conditions such as high blood sugar and hormonal imbalance are common among men and women. With the help of preventive health checkup, one can get to know about their health in a proper way. This health checkup ensures if there any health issues or not.
A preventive health checkup or a regular medical checkup helps in early detection of disease thereby solving the problem in the early stage.
Read Also: Why need a Regular Health Check-up for everyone.