BELLATOR MMA & THE KANSAS ATHLETIC COMMISSION ARE PLEASED TO OFFER MULTIPLE WEIGH-IN OPTIONS TO ‘BELLATOR 150’ COMPETITORS
SANTA MONICA (February 24, 2015) – Bellator MMA is pleased to be working with the Kansas Athletic Commission, in conjunction with the Association of Boxing Commissions, to offer all participants at “Bellator 150: Galvao vs. Dantas 2” on Friday two (2) options of weighing in.
The initiative, which was set in motion months ago, will give all 26 fighters competing on the “Bellator 150: Galvao vs. Dantas 2” card the option of weighing in at 5:00 p.m. CT — which is consistent with previous Bellator MMA shows — or they may weigh-in during the hours of 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 pm CT at the fighter’s hotel.
“The health and safety of our fighters is of the utmost importance to us at Bellator MMA,” President Scott Coker said. “When we were told by the commission months ago that this was something they wanted to implement at our event, we were all for it.”
“The idea to give fighters the option of weighing in earlier in the day came about after the dehydration and weight-cutting summit hosted by CSAC executive director Andy Foster in December,” Kansas Boxing Commissioner Adam Roorbach said. “After fleshing everything out, we decided this is the first step in trying to change the culture of extreme weight cutting. We are pleased that Bellator MMA shares our concerns, and is taking part in this process on Friday.”
Here’s how the process will work:
– If a fighter decides to weigh-in prior to the public weigh-in, they will be able to test their weight on the official scale and then declare that they are prepared to OFFICIALLY WEIGH. (The opponents representative will be notified and have 10 minutes to report if they choose to witness the weigh-in). If for any reason the fighter fails to make weight, he/she will have up to two hours to re-weigh at which time the weight will be considered FINAL. The latest a fighter can officially weigh in is 2:00 PM, meaning they will have until 4:00 p.m. CT to have their final weight submitted. Any fighter not having officially weighed in by 2:00 p.m. CT must wait until 5:00 p.m. CT to weigh-in.
– Regardless of when they tip the scales, all fighters must attend the live weigh-in event. Fighters who completed the weigh-in process earlier will step on the scale and have their previously recorded official weight announced. The remainder of competitors will weigh-in as usual.
As explained in detail by an MMAFighting.com article on Jan. 19, 2016 the idea behind the options is to give fighters more time to rehydrate following their weight cut.
Follow MyMMANews.com on Social Media
Latest posts by Eric Kowal (see all)
- Brave 14 Results from Tangier, Morocco – Ottman Azaitar wins by KO - August 18, 2018
- Filthy Tom Lawlor, Gleison Tibau, MMA news on Split Decision MMA - August 18, 2018
- CES 52 results from 2300 Arena in Philadelphia – Jeremiah Wells vs Jason Norwood - August 17, 2018