Former UFC heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski says he wants to continue fighting for another two or three more years inside the Octagon.
Arlovski is coming off of a second-round submission loss to top prospect Tom Aspinall last month, a loss that snapped a two-fight winning streak for the 42-year-old veteran. At present time, that age makes Arlovski one of the oldest fighters on the UFC roster, but he’s still been performing well, having won three of four fights before the loss to Aspinal. Despite the Aspinall defeat, Arlovski wants to continue fighting in the UFC. Speaking to TMZ Sports, “The Pitbull” said he wants to fight two or three more years in the UFC. That is, as long as they don’t release him.
“If UFC don’t kick me out, then like two or three more years. Why not? Do I look like I’m 30 or not? I look better than the other heavyweights,” Arlovski said.
Arlovski’s teammate at American Top Team, former UFC heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos, was recently released by the UFC, with White pointing to his age and losing skid as reasons for cutting him. The same thing happened with Alistair Overeem, another veteran heavyweight. Arlovski is hoping the UFC doesn’t make the same call with him and keeps him on the roster for as long as possible. To that end, the Belarussian said that he’s open to fighting whoever the UFC puts in front of him. After losing to a young, stud prospect in Aspinall his last time out, Arlovski is open to fighting another younger heavyweight as he embraces the role of being the division’s gatekeeper.
“I don’t know. Totally up to the UFC. Someone tough and young. Why not?” Arlovski said of who he wants to fight next.
Who do you want to see Andrei Arlovski fight in the UFC next?
MMA journalist, podcast host, and handicapper for MyMMANews.com, MMAoddsbreaker.com, and Bookies.com. MMAOB Daily Podcast host. Join me LIVE @ 5 pm EST every Monday for my live free podcast. Over 10 years of experience writing about MMA. I love this sport.