Conor McGregor, Dana White

Conor McGregor (left) and UFC president Dana White (right) laughing at a press conference.

Conor McGregor releases messages from Dana White about potential opponents before COVID-19 pandemic

Former UFC double champion Conor McGregor had two names on his mind before his June 2020 retirement.

He revealed those names by sharing a series of screenshots via social media on Friday, Sept. 25. The screenshots appear to be a text message exchange between UFC president Dana White prior to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The two discuss potential matchups with Diego Sanchez and Justin Gaethje, as well as potential locations and dates for the events. McGregor took to Twitter to respond to comments made by Diego Sanchez at the UFC 253 virtual pre-fight new conference earlier this week. 

Sanchez showed interest in a potential matchup with McGregor. The Irishman felt the same apparently.

“To Diego Sanchez,” McGregor wrote on Twitter. “I (saw) your recent comments about your final bout and I am in! After you fought (Michel) Pereira, I had requested for myself and you to compete in Dublin. This was back in February when I was working on (the opposition) for my season, (pre-COVID). Good luck this weekend!”

Along with his message to Sanchez, McGregor shared screenshots, where he requested a bout with Sanchez in Dublin, Ireland. McGregor was denied when White responded, “We should lose our (promoter’s) license if we make that fight.”

Later in the message, McGregor showed interest in a fight with UFC interim lightweight champion Justin Gaethje. White eyed a potential bout between the two for International Fight Week. 

In the screen shots, the two discussed a potential May event in Los Angeles. McGregor also recommended a fight in Brazil. 

McGregor did not stop there. He then posted more screenshots of his messages with White. The two talked about McGregor being a backup for the then-scheduled UFC 249 main event between Khabib Nurmagomedov and Tony Ferguson in April. McGregor urged White, he is “No step in.”

“Here’s the finish of that exchange. Pre covid. Pre retirement. Never turned down an offer of Tony as was suggested at the time. I stated months in advance (early February) that I was not interested in being an alternate for two consistent pullouts,” McGregor said. “Pushed for my own scheduled bouts.”

The 32-year-old capped it off on Twitter by saying he is moving past these opportunities. He said he will be fighting Manny Pacquiao in the Middle East.

Most recently, Mcgregor defeated Donald Cerrone via first-round TKO at UFC 246 this past January. It marked his first UFC bout in two years after losing by fourth-round submission to champion Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC 229 in October 2018.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information