On Tuesday evening UFC President Dana White sat down with ESPN+ viewers for a virtual question and answer session. During this time he shed some light on plans the UFC has for this new year. White was very open when asked about different fighters and what will be next for them. Speaking about the heavyweight division White shared some news that might be shocking to some. He said that champion Stipe Miocic will be taking of Francis Ngannou for the second time in April.
Ngannou is a monster in the UFC heavyweight division so the fact that he is getting a title shot isn’t really the shock, the shock is that with Jon Jones making the move to heavyweight many thought he would be next in line for the belt. Add that to the fact that Miocic has expressed on multiple occasions that he is not interested in the rematch with Ngannou. The first time these two fought was two years ago and Miocic took the bout via unanimous decision. Since then Ngannou has gone 4-1 with all four wins coming by way of TKO or KO never outside the first round. If that doesn’t set someone up for a title fight then what does?
Stipe Miocic has been out of action since August when he defended his title against Daniel Cormier. After fighting Cormier three times in a row Miocic might be eager to see some new blood, not another rematch. Either way, it seems Jones will be waiting in the wings for however comes out of this match on top. Jones has been seen “bulking” on social media to get ready for his heavyweight debut. He himself said it would take time and maybe my summer he will get his shot.
The date they are looking for is April or the end of March for this battle of heavyweights. Ngannou is a KO machine and Miocic is one of the best heavyweight champions the UFC has ever seen. It should be a great show.