Dominick Cruz was set to make his long-awaited return to the Octagon at UFC 233 — before the card was canceled — against John Lineker. However, after the fight was announced, the injury bug hit Cruz again. The former champion injured his shoulder and is expected to be out for a year.
Ultimately, Cruz needed surgery for his shoulder, which happened yesterday in which he posted to Twitter to give fans an update on his health.
╳ The surgery went well! I appreciate your support.. Now on the road to recovery.. ╳ .#DominickCruz #DomCruz #TeamCruz #CruzAlliance #UFC #MMA .
Snapchat | DomCruz619
Twitter | @DominickCruz
Web | https://t.co/0hAwOxEWI0 pic.twitter.com/YiPrArYPhU
— Dominick Cruz (@DominickCruz) January 9, 2019
“The surgery went well! I appreciate your support,” Cruz wrote on Twitter. “Now on to the road to recovery.”
Obviously, the good news is that the surgery went well and Cruz can start his recovery. The hope is Cruz will be able to return to the Octagon in 2020.
The former champion last fought at UFC 207 in December of 2016. He dropped a unanimous decision to Cody Garbrandt. Since then, Cruz has been dealing with a variety of injuries but it appeared he was going to be healthy enough to return in early 2019 until this shoulder injury happened.
Even though Cruz did suffer another serious injury, he was in good spirits when he talked about it on Ariel Helwani’s MMA Show.
“It’s just part of my journey, and it’s going to be part of my legacy, these injuries,” Cruz said.
To keep up with the positivity, Cruz sent a message out on Instagram talking to his fans about the injury.
“This is a setback opportunity unfolding that will become part of my legacy,” he said on Instagram after the injury news was revealed.
In the end, the goal remains the same. Cruz wants to return to the Octagon and show the world he is the best bantamweight ever to fight. He may very well be that already. Unfortunately, the injury bug has impacted Cruz’s career greatly. In the end, he still is one of the best ever to do it.