Pages Navigation Menu

MMA News, Results, Videos And Ass-Kicking Interviews

Coroner rules Josh Samman’s death as probable drug overdose

The following two tabs change content below.
Eric Kowal

Eric Kowal

Owner/Editor/Journalist at MyMMANews
Founder of - After writing for Ultimate MMA magazine and serving as the editor for U.S. Combat Sports, both of which went on hiatus, I decided to venture out on my own and enlist a staff of writers and photographers that could help me achieve my goal of telling stories that would otherwise go untold. We pride ourselves in taking a deeper look into the fighter, and understanding what makes them click. - #1 Dad, Marine Corps Veteran, 80's and 90's Pro Wrestling Fan, MMA Commentator, Beer Lover, and avid movie watcher. Seriously..... I watch a lot of movies.

Coroner rules Josh Samman’s death as probable drug overdose

After nearly a week in a coma, UFC welterweight fighter Josh Samman passed away on October 5 at age 28.Josh Samman fighting for life; in critical condition, unresponsive

Today Samman’s death has been ruled a probable drug overdose by the local coroner.

Broward County chief medical examiner Craig Mallak said Tuesday that even though there was no toxicology report done on Samman, circumstances have led him to believe that the late UFC fighter died from a probable drug overdose. TMZ was the first to report the news.

Samman and his friend Troy Kirkingburg were found the evening of Sept. 29 at an apartment in Hollywood, Florida.

Kirkingburg was deceased and Samman was unresponsive, but was breathing and had a pulse.

The toxicology report for Kirkingburg came back Tuesday and showed the presence of heroin, cocaine and ethanol (the principle alcohol found in alcoholic beverages), Mallak said. Kirkingburg’s official cause of death has been ruled a massive accidental drug overdose and because Samman was found with him, the medical examiner has deduced that his death was due to a probable drug overdose.

No toxicology report could be performed on Samman, Mallak said, because he was in the hospital days before passing away and there was no specimen to test.