Megan Anderson won’t officially retire from MMA but she says she has no desire to fight.
Anderson fought out her contract back at UFC 259 when she challenged Amanda Nunes for the featherweight title but lost by first-round submission. After the loss, the UFC decided not to re-sign her and since then, she has not signed with a promotion or has a fight booked. With that, many were wondering if she had retired, but on Wednesday evening, she took to social media to provide an update on her fighting career.
View this post on Instagram
“For all those that are asking and continue to ask me daily, I have no plans to fight right now. I’m not saying that I will never fight again, but at this point in my life, I’m loving everything else I’m doing. From gaming and streaming, working as an analyst for ESPN and Invicta, and currently filming my first major feature film, I couldn’t be happier and fighting really isn’t on my mind,” Anderson wrote on Instagram. “I’m currently not affiliated with any gym, I’m not signed to any promotion right now and haven’t been pursuing a new fight contract. I appreciate the love and interest from everyone hoping to see me in the cage again, but hopefully this answers your questions for now!”
Anderson, as she says, no doubt has a ton going on in her personal and professional life which doesn’t include fighting. However, she is one of the best featherweights on the planet, so many hope she would compete again.
Megan Anderson (11-5) is coming off the submission loss to Nunes at UFC 259. Prior to that, she knocked out Norma Dumont in the first round after submitting Zarah Fairn dos Santos. She went 3-3 in the UFC with her other win being over Cat Zingano, while her losses are to Felicia Spencer and Holly Holm. Anderson was also the former Invicta FC featherweight champ.
Cole Shelton covers MMA for BJPenn.com, MMANews, and MyMMANews.com while also being the lead MMA odds writer for Sports Betting Dime