Conor McGregor charged with assault for bar fight

Conor McGregor charged with assault for bar fight

Conor McGregor’s legal problems continue to grow.

McGregor, 31, has been charged with assault for punching a man in a Dublin, Ireland bar in April.

The former UFC two-division champion was formally served with a summons and is due in a Dublin court on Oct. 11.

According to The Independent, the charge carries a maximum sentence of six months in prison and a fine of €1,500 (about $1646 USD) if convicted.

McGregor was caught on video punching a man in the face, on April 6 at the Marble Arch pub. In the video, McGregor was passing out glasses of his Proper No.12 whiskey brand. McGregor was seen having a brief interaction with the man sitting at the bar before he threw a punch at the man, who is reported to be in his 50s.

In August, McGregor appeared on ESPN and apologized for the incident.

“In reality, it doesn’t matter what happened there,” said McGregor. “I was in the wrong. That man deserved to enjoy his time in the pub without having it end the way it did. Although, five months ago it was, I tried to make amends. And I made amends back then.”

McGregor has yet to comment on the charge. Early today he retweeted Dali Beats about his whiskey appearing in Olympia, Washington.

The Irishman has been in and out of trouble as of late. In March he was arrested in Miami for smashing a man’s cell phone outside a club, however the charges he was facing were dropped. Later that month, the New York Times reported that McGregor was under investigation in Ireland for alleged sexual assault. There is no update on that investigation.

Of course those legal problems go along with the April 2018 incident when he attacked a bus full of fighters at the UFC 223 Media Day. In the attack, McGregor threw a dolly at the bus window injuring several fighters and UFC staff members.

The bus attack led to the NYPD charging McGregor with three counts of assault and one count of criminal mischief. At his arraignment he was further charged with menacing and reckless endangerment. In the end McGregor was sentenced to five days of community service and had to attend anger management classes. He also faced civil lawsuits resulting from the attack.

McGregor (21-4) plans on fighting again in the near future. There is no set match or timetable for his return. McGregor hasn’t fought since his October 2018 when he lost to Khabib Nurmagomedov(28-0) at UFC 229.

Following that fight, a brawl broke out with Nurmagomedov hopping over the cage after McGregor’s corner. As a result, both Nurmagomedov and McGregor were suspended by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information