UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones is scheduled to make an appearance in court on September 26 according to a report from Damon Martin at MMAFighting.com.
Jones faces misdemeanor battery charges after a waitress from TD’s Eubanks Showclub accused the UFC fighter of touching her inappropriately, putting her in a chokehold and grabbed her several times while he was at the club. The alleged incident took place in April.
The woman told police she was afraid of pressing charges because she believed everyone wanted to protect the famous fighter.
The woman told officers Jones was drunk and continued to be physical with her after she got out of the reported chokehold.
Jones has denied all wrongdoing in the case and pled not guilty to the charges. Court documents show a Metro Court judge found probable cause to support the battery charge against Jones.
The UFC champion faces a maximum of six months in jail and up to a $500 fine if he’s found guilty. He could also potentially face up to six months of probation if convicted.
UFC president Dana White has stood by Jones following the incident claiming he saw some of the videos from the night the light heavyweight champion visited the strip club and he was confident that he would return to action before the end of 2019.
“Some of the videos are coming back. I’ve seen some videos. I don’t want to talk about it cause I don’t want to hurt his case or whatever but it’s unfortunate, let’s put it that way,” White said back in July. “When you’re famous, these types of things happen to you.
“From what I’ve seen so far, when it all surfaces and comes to the top, it looks good for Jon. It looks very good for Jon Jones. It’s quite sad actually.”
MyMMANews.com – We cover everything from MMA, BJJ, Bare Knuckle, Wrestling, Boxing, Kickboxing, and Judo