Natan Levy is ready to rid himself of frustration on August 21 when he faces Ben Lugo at LFA 88. After over a year without a fight despite being healthy, the Israeli fighter can’t wait to get back in the cage. Especially as he has been a professional fighter for three years now but only able to get four fights in over that time frame.
“It bothered me a lot, I’ve been a pro for three years. One year pretty much inactive. I’ve been pro for two years and one year on pause,” said Levy. “I don’t really understand why I was on pause; I was healthy the whole year. I know there were some things that made it harder to find the fights like that LFA had to deal with AXS TV stopping (their broadcast agreement) and they needed some time to sign the new broadcast (deal), it did play out well with the UFC Fight Pass, I’m very happy to be fighting on it. But this, plus a few opponents that cancelled fights plus I was supposed to fight in March then the COVID situation went crazy so I’ve been waiting. Now it’s time finally.”
Levy has been anxiously awaiting a fight, always staying ready because he believed an opportunity would come about in this situation. He had no hesitation in taking the fight as he believes “fighting is dangerous as is” and the only thing that he worries about is that no one’s fight gets cancelled. He was right to be worried. Levy was supposed to fight Lugo on July 10 but the fight was cancelled because his coach and cornerman tested positive for COVID-19. Now on August 21, Levy and Lugo will get to step inside the cage.
While he has had to keep his training group small, Levy says that he has been able to put in the work necessary for this fight and has had ample access to his coaches at Syndicate MMA in Las Vegas. Now he is ready to take on Lugo, a tough veteran who has only seen a decision twice in his eight-fight career. This will be Levy’s first fight at lightweight as due to the short notice nature of the fight, the cut to featherweight wasn’t feasible in a healthy manner. However, Levy feels comfortable fighting at a higher weight class.
“I’m well sized for 55 too, I’m not worrying about it.”
Though he says he is always down to fight at lightweight, he wants to take over the featherweight division.
“I think I’ll always be down to fight at 55, cut a little less weight, eat a little more but my weight class is 45, that’s what I want to take over.”
“I like the matchup, he’s tough, but tough will only get you so far. He’s well rounded, its true but he’s not great anywhere, I think. He’s definitely dangerous, he can strike, he can grapple, but I just think I’m a better striker and a better grappler. I’m in crazy good shape and I’m stronger than I’ve ever been. My wrestling and striking are better than they’ve ever been so I see myself finishing him.”
Speaking of his wrestling, Natan Levy who is mainly known as a striker believes his wrestling has made the biggest strides, especially since he was seen in the cage.
“I think between my third and fourth pro fights I had a huge jump in wrestling and that was just a glimpse of the beginning growth I’ve had in wrestling. I think I’ve gone up two levels since. When people told me how much I’ve improved in my wrestling, that was just the beginning, now I’m so much more than that.”
Levy believes his wrestling will play a role in getting a finish in this fight.
“I think at some point I’m going to take him down and submit him or a TKO.
Natan Levy vs. Ben Lugo will take place on August 21 at LFA 88 and can be streamed on UFC Fight Pass.