UFC 188 results: Velasquez vs Werdum – – Werdum unifies titles
UFC 188: Velasquez vs Werdum took place at Mexico City Arena in Mexico City and is available for purchase on pay-per-view.
The heavyweight bout unified the championship as Fabricio Werdum won the interim belt against Mark Hunt last year while the champion, Cain Velasquez was out due to injury.
Werdum (19-5-1) was a perfect 5-0 since returning to the UFC in 2012 and he looked near perfect in this fight. He bloodied the champion in the first round, stumbled him multiple times in the second and in the third he submitted Velasquez with a guillotine and is now the undisputed champion of the world.
In the co-main event, it was a fight about five years in the making as former Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez and former Bellator lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez finally met each other inside the UFC octagon. In the first round Melendez found success early on and likely broke the nose of Alvarez. In between the first and second round Alvarez make a mistake he admitted he regretted and blew his nose. Immediately his eye shut and it looked as if the fight could have been stopped by the ringside physician. Instead Alvarez came on strong in the second and third rounds and won a decision to earn his first win in the UFC.
Andrew Todhunter vs Albert Tumenov was pulled from the fight card yesterday as Todhunter had been deemed medically unable to compete after passing out while attempting to make weight. There will be no replacement bout, and the card will proceed with 11 matches.
Official UFC 188 results below.
MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET)
- Fabricio Werdum defeated Cain Velasquez via submission (guillotine choke) Round 3, 2:13
- Eddie Alvarez defeated Gilbert Melendez via split decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Kelvin Gastelum defeated Nate Marquardt via TKO (corner stoppage) – Round 2, 5:00
- Yair Rodriguez defeated Charles Rosa via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Tecia Torres defeated Angela Hill via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
PRELIMINARY CARD (FX, 8 p.m. ET)
- Henry Cejudo defeated Chico Camus via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)
- Efrain Escudero defeated Drew Dober via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 1, 0:54
- Patrick Williams defeated Alejandro Perez via technical submission (guillotine choke) – Round 1, 0:23
- Johnny Case defeated Francisco Trevino via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass, 7 p.m. ET)
- Cathal Pendred defeated Augusto Montano via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Gabriel Benitez defeated Clay Collard via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
Latest posts by Eric Kowal (see all)
- Calling all amateur fighters – King of the Cage and MAVTV announce $250,000 tournament - October 23, 2017
- USKA Night of Champions results from Allentown, Pennsylvania - October 21, 2017
- CFFC 68 results – Two titles to be decided in Atlantic City - October 21, 2017