World Series of Fighting hosted WSOF 23 tonight at Comerica Theatre in Phoenix, Arizona. We hosted a live stream of the preliminary card here at MyMMANews.com before the main card switched to NBCSN at 10 p.m. EST. Prelims began at 7 p.m. EST.
The card was headlined by a lightweight title matchup between champion Justin Gaethje and challenger Luis Palomino. The fight was a rematch as the undefeated Gaethje defeated Palomino back in March.
This bout would go in the favor of Palomino early and it looked as if we would have a new champion, however Gaethje turned things around and was able to TKO his opponent in the second round. Both fights are possible fight of the year candidates.
Also on the card, the first ever WSOF light heavyweight title holder was decided as the current middleweight champ David Branch took on Teddy Holder in the finals of the tournament. Branch submitted Holder in the very first round to become a champion in two divisions.
Brian Foster set the pace for the main card with a quick knockout victory in the very first round over LaRue Burley.
Full WSOF 23 results include:
MAIN CARD (NBCSN, 10 p.m. ET)
- Champ Justin Gaethje defeated Luis Palomino via TKO (strikes) Round 2, 4:30 – for lightweight title
- David Branch defeated Teddy Holder via submission (rear-naked choke) Round1 , 2:21 – for inaugural light heavyweight title
- Timur Valiev defeated Tito Jones via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Ben Fodor defeated Roberto Yong via submission via submission (scissor choke) – Round 1, 3:09
- Brian Foster defeated LaRue Burley via KO (punch) – Round 1, 0:32
PRELIMINARY CARD (MyMMANews.com, 7 p.m. ET)
- Vagab Vagabov defeated Brian Grinnell via TKO (strikes) – Round 2, 2:29
- Clifford Starks defeated Krasimir Mladenov via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Matthew Frincu defeated Danny Davis Jr. via split decision (28-29, 30-27, 29-28)
- David Nuzzo defeated Andres Ponce via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)
- Joey Miolla defeated Randy Steinke via knockout (knee) – Round 2, 3:55
- Benny Madrid defeated Jeff Fletcher via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 1:26
Latest posts by Eric Kowal (see all)
- Primal Fight League Announces Hostile Takeover in Colorado Springs - January 15, 2018
- Cris Cyborg – UFC not signing 145 pound fighters, Bellator making division for me - January 15, 2018
- Geje Eustaquio sacrifices Christmas family time in pursuit of decisive victory - January 15, 2018