WSOF 25 takes place Friday at Comerica Theatre in Phoenix. The main card airs on NBCSN following prelims on MyMMANews.com. The stream will include all four quarterfinal stage tournament matchups as well as the tournament reserve bout and two non-tournament preliminary card bouts.
Eight lightweights will compete in a single-night tournament granting the winner a bout at current lightweight champion Justin Gaethje.
The entire card from top to bottom was exciting however the problem with tournaments shined through. On more than one occassion fighters were removed fro
Brian Cobb and Benny Madrid, who had been slated for action in the tournament and a tournament reserve fight, respectively, were both rendered unable to compete in their scheduled commitments earlier today after becoming ill.
Originally slated to face LaRue Burley (6-1) in reserve fight action, Joe Condon (12-8) will replace Cobb in the tournament and square off with Cobb’s scheduled opponent, Mike Ricci (10-4), in the quarterfinal stage of the event.
Islam Mamedov defeated Jorge Patino via unanimous decision but unfortunatley for Mamedov he tore his ACL so Patino will now advance and face Ricci who won in the opening round.
Rich Patishnock was beating the tournament favorite, Luis Palomino for the better part of four minutes until Palomino came back and KO’d Patishnock with just seconds left in the first round.
Official WSOF 25 bouts include:
MAIN CARD (NBCSN, 11 p.m. ET)
- TBA vs. TBA – lightweight tournament final
- Jason High vs. Estevan Payan
- Brian Foster defeated Luis Palomino – lightweight tournament semifinal
- Joao Zeferino defeated Jorge Patino via submission (heel hook) Round 1, – lightweight tournament semifinal
PRELIMINARY CARD (MyMMANews.com, 8 p.m. ET)
- Joseph Barajas defeated Erik Villalobos via TKO (strikes) – Round 3, 4:06
- Roberto Yong defeated Jimmy Scully via TKO, Round 1, 1:11
- Luis Palomino defeated Richard Patishnock via KO, Round 1, 4:55 – lightweight tournament opening round
- Joao Zeferino defeated Brian Foster via submission, Round 1, 1:45– lightweight tournament opening round
- Mike Ricci defeated Joe Condon via TKO (strikes) Round 2, 2:41– lightweight tournament opening round
- Islam Mamedov defeated Jorge Patino via unanimous decision – lightweight tournament opening round. Patino back in though because Mamedov tore his ACL.
- Ramil Mustapayev defeated LaRue Burley via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)– lightweight tournament reserve bout.
Latest posts by Eric Kowal (see all)
- Bellator Teams Up With Wireless Carrier Boost Mobile - January 16, 2018
- Max Holloway Battles Frankie Edgar In Blockbuster Featherweight Title Fight At UFC 222 - January 16, 2018
- 2017 M-1 Global Fighter of the Year: M-1 Challenge lightweight champion Damir Ismagulov - January 16, 2018