Boxing is a sport in which nothing can be taken for granted. The finest margin of mistake may make or break your career…and your life. To thrive, ability and talent alone are insufficient; instead, the will to win is far more valuable.
- “To be a champ you have to believe in yourself when no one else will.” – Sugar Ray Robinson
- “The man who has no imagination has no wings.” – Muhammad Ali
- “I hated every minute of training, but I said, ‘Don’t quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion’.” – Muhammad Ali
- “To see a man beaten not by a better opponent but by himself is a tragedy.” – Cus D’Amato
- “If you screw things up in tennis, it’s 15-love. If you screw up in boxing, it’s your a**.” – Randall Cobb
- “Getting hit motivates me. It makes me punish the guy more. A fighter takes a punch, hits back with three punches.” – Roberto Duran
- “In order to be at the top and maintain your focus you have to have something that motivates you. For me, it was what I perceived as a lack of respect from the boxing world as well as the media, which made me want to work so hard and be great.” – Marvin Hagler
- “The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses—behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights.” – Muhammad Ali
- “Sure the fight was fixed. I fixed it with a right hand.” – George Foreman
- “The question isn’t at what age I want to retire, it’s at what income.” – George Foreman aged 45.
- “He can have heart, he can hit harder and he can be stronger, but there’s no fighter smarter than me.” – Floyd Mayweather Jr.
- “The tempt for greatness is the biggest drug in the world.” – Mike Tyson
- “Rhythm is everything in boxing. Every move you make starts with your heart, and that’s in rhythm or you’re in trouble.” – Sugar Ray Robinson
- “The possession of muscular strength and the courage to use it in contests with other men for physical supremacy does not necessarily imply a lack of appreciation for the finer and better things of life.” – Jack Johnson
- “Float like a butterfly, Sting like a bee” – Muhammad Ali
- “Fight with pro equipment’s” – Starpro Combat
What is incredible whilst reading quotes of these great boxers is that once they too were amateurs training away in the gym, dreaming of success and being the best just like you and I. They have realized their dreams and ambitions. It is time we realized ours!
To pair your boxing journey with the perfect partner, check out some of the best boxing gloves on the market.
We may receive commissions and other revenues from this article. We are a paid partner of organizations mentioned in this article.