UFC 196 takes place Feb. 6 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The main card airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and UFC Fight Pass.
According to oddsmakers, former champion Cain Velasquez is the favorite to win the title over reigning champion Fabricio Werdum.
Velasquez (13-2) lost the title to the more experienced Werdum (20-5-1) via guillotine choke submission in the third round of their scheduled five round title affair, June 13, 2015.
The former champion Velasquez is known for having an incredible gas tank with off the wall cardio conditioning levels, however he appeared to be fatigued in the first fight against Werdum in the higher elevated, Mexico City.
The former champion recently talked with Lisa Foiles on UFC Minute where he said, “I’ve been in this position before, where I’ve had a rematch after losing the first one. I know what it takes to go out there and win and I’m going to do it.”
“When I’m not in fight camp, I have Luke Rockhold and Daniel Cormier in their fights so I’ve been helping them get ready for theirs and watching their success so now it’s my time to go back and get that belt.”
Velasquez is a two-time UFC heavyweight champion, defeating Brock Lesnar back at UFC 121 in 2010 to claim gold for the first time.
WATCH UFC 196 Free Fight: Cain Velasquez vs Brock Lesnar
He then lost in his first title defense against Junior Dos Santos in November 2011. Velasquez would come back and rack off four consecutive wins to include fights where he would regain the title and defend once again, against Dos Santos.
Werdum is yet to lose since joining the UFC back in 2012. He hold UFC wins against Roy Nelson, Mike Russow, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Travis Browne, Mark Hunt, and then the win over Velasquez where the Brazilian claimed the heavyweight strap.
The latest UFC 196 card includes:
- Champ Fabricio Werdum vs. Cain Velasquez – for heavyweight championship
- Johny Hendricks vs. Stephen Thompson
- Roy Nelson vs. Jared Rosholt
- Joseph Benavidez vs. Zach Makovsky
- Rafael Cavalcante vs. Ovince Saint Preux
- Josh Burkman vs. K.J. Noons
- Damian Grabowski vs. Derrick Lewis
- Ray Borg vs. Justin Scoggins
- Mike Pyle vs. Sean Spencer
- Artem Lobov vs. Alex White
- Misha Cirkunov vs. Alex Nicholson
- Noad Lahat vs. Diego Rivas
- Mickey Gall vs. Michael Jackson